How To Make Your New House Feel More Like Home
Moving into a new house can be extremely overwhelming. You might have a mix of emotions varying from sad to happy, excited or nervous. Settling in can take some time and it probably won’t feel like home for a while. As a moving company, we wanted to give you some tips that could help make your new house feel more like a home!
1) Take your time to unpack everything-
- If you want your new house to feel like home, you have to take the time to unpack everything.
- Start with your bedroom first. Make your room feel cozy and comfortable by making your bed and adding any decor to the walls.
- Make sure to spend extra time organizing your closet and drawers. This will make your mornings easier, so you aren’t running around all over looking for certain clothing items.
- Setup furniture in living room, unpack kitchen appliances, put up curtains etc.
- Once you are all unpacked, it will give you a chance to begin settling in.
2) Make it cozy-
- To make a home feel a little more cozy, we suggest bringing out seasonal candles (or any scented candle you enjoy). Some scents we enjoy that help make our homes feel more cozy are; Pumpkin Spice, Apple Pie, Warm Vanilla, Sugar Cookie, Cinnamon, Bahama Breeze, Fresh Linen, Lavender, Island Coconut…to name a few.
- Hang family photos on the wall.
- Keep warm throw blankets in the living room that still smell like your old home.
3) Home cooked meals-
- Instead of ordering pizza or takeout your first few nights after settling into your new home, try making actual home cooked meals.
4) Mimic your usual routine-
- To better settle into your new home, continue to mimic your usual routines. Make yourself a cup of coffee before you head to work.
- Walk your dog after work or go to the gym.
- Eat dinner around the same time you would at your old home.
5) Have a family game night-
- Consider having a family game night with cards and board games. The only way to feel more at home in your new house, is to actually spend time there!
6) Invite friends and family over-
- Nothing makes a house feel more like a home, than having all of your friends and family over to laugh and enjoy each others company. Have a barbecue or a house warming party to show everyone your new home!
7) Put a wreath on your front door-
- We’re not really sure what it is about having a wreath on the front door, but it always seems to make a house feel more ‘homey’. It gives off a welcoming vibe to you and your guests before you even open the door!
8) Meet your new neighbors-
- Some may find this awkward or weird and might choose to avoid this, but consider taking the time to introduce yourself to your new neighbors. If you just moved to a new area, they can give you great ideas of restaurants to eat at or places to visit!