Happy 242nd Birthday United States Army!
Today is the 242nd Birthday of the United States Army. The United States Army was founded on June 14th, 1775 when the second Continental Congress authorized the enlistment of riflemen to serve the colonies for a year. Prior to this authorization, colonies had their own militias but didn’t have any unified chain of command. On June 15th, 1775, Congress named George Washington as commander in chief of the new Army and took command of his troops on July 3rd, 1775 in Boston.
- Today the Army has over 480,000 active duty soldiers, with an additional 200,000 in the Army Reserves and 340,000 in the U.S. Army National Guard.
- The Army is older than the United States.
- If the United States Army were a city, it would be the 10th largest in the U.S.
- The Army owns over 15 million acres of land across the United States.
- It is the second largest employer